Tuesday 6 April 2010

The worst symptom

Dear Thyroid post statuses on their facebook page asking things. Once they asked what the worst symptom was. I, and many others replied with the deadly F word:

FATIGUE!

My top 3 worst symptoms would be:
  1. fatigue
  2. weight gain
  3. dry skin/dandruff
There are many other symptoms I experience along with these, but most of them are under control. The biggest one two years ago would have been brain fog. During lessons/lectures I could not concentrate for more than 5 mins, no exaggeration. I would dose off and day-dream, or be looking at the teacher, but zoned out for a while. And when I would return, nothing would make sense. But that has got much better, and at uni,  I have learnt the key is to make notes when the lecturer speaks and aim to write down almost everything he/she says. It works!

Anyway, let me talk to you about fatigue and why it's the worst. It's important for me , at uni, to be constantly alert and to keep going for as long as I can, especially during revision and busy assignment periods (the latter of which is ALWAYS!). At times I will sleep for 8 hours and still be tired during the day aroung 5/6pm. Then I'll need a nap, then I'll be like it's too late to take a nap. The next thing I know, I had a nap and it's now 10 pm. I do work,  I go to bed late the next day, and then obviously; I'm tired. Obviously living the student life, my sleep pattern isn't what it used to be, but in comparison to others, I feel like I have no stamina. I'll be sat in front of the laptop at 9pm, having slept 8 hours the previous night, zoning out and not being able to concentrate.

Little things tire me out also. Running errands, going shopping, cooking. Anything and everything. I have the inability to keep going. If I sleep for a few hours more, it doesn't really help. I always am feeling constantly tired and drained. At uni I try to disguise this because people will think im boring if im sat there tired and not talking. So I seem to go into over-drive at uni, and I am quite hyper and talkative, just to make up for it. And then as soon as I get back to my flat, I'm knackered.

This has taught me, and I'm still learning, that the key is, as cliched as it sounds:

to pace yourself out

Don't have short bursts of energy at uni or shopping, just take it slow/easy all the time. That way, you will conserve your energy. I am hopefully going to be working on this in the coming weeks and I'll let you know how it goes.

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZ

No comments: