Wednesday 24 March 2010

Green Tea & such...

I have three weeks off from uni, so I've finally got a chance to sort out my crappy reliant on fast and cheap food diet. I used to eat quite healthily at the start of uni, but this is what the student life has done to me!

Thankfully, I haven't gained any weight, I've remained constant or even lost a few pouds miraculously enough. I also want to use these weeks to do more exercise. Last week, I had a sudden urge to go walking or running or jogging just to let off some steam. Regardless of how quickly I will lose the weight, I feel really motivated to properly attempt to lose weight. No fad diets, no tricks, no lipo (LOL) .... just the plain & simple way of a good diet and plenty of exercise.

As of Monday, I've made a few small changes to my diet. I bought some apples, pears and bananas (my three fave and easy to eat fruits) and have been eating them. I've been eating salad (cucumber and tomatoes yumm) with everything I can. I've been having breakfast again. During term time, I would wake up to give myself just enough time to get dressed and run to lecutre: never mind breakfast. But it's true what they say that breakfast IS the most important meal of the day. So now I'm eating Shreddies (double yum) with an apple or banana for breakfast. I've substituted wholemeal pitta breads instead of normal bread and have been shoving salad in them or eating them with Houmous. I haven't bought any freezer food apart from fish fingers which is good.

Green tea!

When I told one of my flatmates about my hypothyroidism, she recommended green tea as it speeds up metabolism. She made me a cup and put some honey in it. It tasted kinda.. yuk. A bit like cardboard!! Lol. But I was willing to give it a go and try it out, cos it might work. I'm not really a tea/coffee kind of person, I'm not into Caffeine to be honest. So I went to Tesco and bought some green tea of my own, this is what it looks like:


FRONT

BACK

It was quite good value for money, but as I said, it doesn't taste of much. I think I'll have a cup now :) 
I googled it, and the jury is still out as to whether or not it has any proven benefits. But it contains antioxidants so lowers the chance of you getting Cancer, decreases cardiovascular disease, and Cholesterol. So far, I haven't read anything about it speeding up metabolism. It originated from China.

Exercise

Today I went with my flatmate to a park for a walk. The park was gorgeous, it was so scenic subhanallah. I didn't have my camera with me so couldn't take any pics, but it was just WOW. We walked around for like 45 minutes, although we were both so tired (late night doing work) but it was quite a good walk. We plan to go there again tomorrow and jog or run. I feel so tired now because it's the first time in ages I've had a proper walk. I want to go there at least three times a week in order to lose some weight. I think it's gonna be an early night for me tonight!

Overall, I'm feeling really positive about these small changes. I feel better already with the changes I have made to my diet and I know that it will take a while before I notice any real physical changes, but I'm willing and ready to give it a good go. I hope that when I return to uni in two and a half weeks that I can keep these changes up. My biggest fear is relapsing back to my old ways.

No comments: