Monday 22 March 2010

Misconceptions

Just this morning, my Dad made a comment insisting all the "fat" relatives in our family or overweight people we know are definitely hypothyroid.

I couldn't help but laugh. But then I told him:

"weight gain isn't the only symptom of hypothyroidism. There are many other symptoms that constitute to hypothyroidism. In fact, you could be pretty slim and have an under active thyroid. And remember, some people are overweight because they eat too much or do not exercise."

And I just wanted to share that with you today. All overweight people are not necessarily hypothryoid. That is too massive an assumption to make. This is why we all need to be role models in creating awareness. I was ashamed that even my Dad doesn't fully understand thyroid disease. Sometimes it baffles me too!

No comments: